The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Oakland University is a professional graduate program which prepares individuals for licensure and entry into the physical therapy profession. As a graduate program, it includes theoretical, clinical practice, and research courses and experiences to prepare graduates to function in a variety of settings in physical therapy.
The DPT Program is an intensive educational experience spread over three and a half years with 8 weeks off in the summer of the first and second year. It is designed to prepare clinicians with the evaluation and examination skills necessary to make physical therapy differential diagnoses of movement related impairments affecting the neuromusculoskeletal system. In addition, this degree will prepare graduates to provide effective care in the areas of prevention, screening, rehabilitation and community reintegration for their clients. Finally, graduates will be able to interpret, and conduct research related to physical therapy.
Oakland University has many different opportunities to enhance student learning throughout the program.
* State of the art cadaver lab
* Small class sizes and low student to instructor ratio in labs
* Standardized, simulated and in-class patient/client experiences
* Community involvement, wellness and health promotion
* Multiple inter-professional education opportunities
* Opportunities to participate in DPT student organizations
* Opportunities for a variety of clinical experiences both in-state and out of state
* Opportunities to be mentored by faculty who are specialists and leaders in the practice of cardiopulmonary, neuromuscular rehabilitation, oncology rehab, orthopedics, orthopedic manual physical therapy, palliative care, pediatrics, and wellness and health promotion
Students who graduate from our program are well rounded and competent to work in all areas of the physical therapy profession. Overall, our goal is to prepare students to function as a lifelong learner and an independent thinker with the ability to interact effectively with patients, their families and meaningful others, as well as with other members of the health care delivery team.
Oakland University gives preference to applicants that are permanent residents of Michigan during the first round of admissions.